The Club was originally situated behind The Banyers Hotel, Melbourn Street, Royston North Hertfordshire in 1927, but in 1933 Captain J.V. Jacklin, local builder/HCBA President 1952, living in Short Acre in Green Drift, gifted land opposite No.47 Green Drift to the Royston Bowling Club in perpetuity for the benefit of Towns people. A 6 rink flat bowls green and timber-framed pavilion was built on brick piers, with a beer/wine cellar beneath the northern footprint of the building for £35. The Club was officially opened on July 12th 1934.
In 1989 the pavilion was extended in cavity brick to enlarge and relocate the bar and kitchen facilities, and more recently in 2015 with a legacy left by member Michael Randall of his detached house and double plot adjacent to the Club at No.35 Green Drift. The plot boundaries to No.35 were altered to allow removal of trees at the rear of the property that were affecting the nearest rink, and the second plot was retained by the club and recorded with the Land Registry. Finally the Club Trustees sold No.35.
As a result of the inheritance, the Club Committee and Trustees employed a local architect to completely redesign the clubhouse to their requirements to provide a larger kitchen and social/dining area, spacious men and women’s changing rooms, Committee Room and a Greenkeeper’s machine store and workshop. A local builder was employed and following a closure period beginning September 2014 the new clubhouse was substantially completed in time for the 2015 outdoor season. A memorial garden was formed on the spare plot in appreciation of the Club’s benefactor. On Sunday July 3rd 2016 the new clubhouse was duly opened by our Member of Parliament Sir Oliver Heald.
The Club was entered on the Register of Charities on 8th May 2015 under Charity No. 1161579